Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Illustration Party

On Saturday, Jan. 24th we will be having an Illustration Party for kids here at the library. In addition to giving kids all sorts of opportunities to be artsy (we will have picture painting, coloring, collage making, and other stuff) I wanted to give kids a chance to see the work of award-winning illustrators. So, with lots of help from my wonderful co-workers, we have re-drawn some images from books that won Caldecott awards or Caldecott honors in past years, so we can hang them up in the library and downstairs where the party will be. (The Caldecott list can be viewed here, if you are interested.)


One illustrator/author named David Wiesner has won the Caldecott medal or honor numerous times for his wordless picture books. His art is just wonderful, but it's also extremely hard to imitate. I've been trying to color the frog images from his book Tuesday for about a month now, and I'm finally starting to end up with something I'm satisfied with.



Other books I have chosen images from include Olivia by Ian Falconer,











Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes,










and, one of my all-time favorites, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems.







I hope everyone can come out and be artsy with us on the 24th!

No comments:

Post a Comment