Thursday, October 8, 2009

Read-A-Likes

Problem: I read everything by my favorite author, and now I have nothing else to read!

Problem: I really like this series, but I can't remember the titles or the author... I just know the name of the series... or wait, I actually just know the plot and characters. I need the next book though!

Problem: The library is closed and I can't ask the librarian for recommendations!

Solution: There's a great database we have called NoveList that helps people who are trying to figure out what to read next. It's available online through our website 24/7, and all you need is an Allerton Library card number to get in. Once you're in, you can search for books by author, title, series name, or plot/characters. The database also has articles on certain authors and books, which include suggestions for other authors to try when you've run out of books by your favorite author. These are called Read-A-Likes in the library business.

There are two versions of NoveList: one for adults, and one for kids called NoveList K-8. Here's how you get to them:
1) Go to our library's website, www.monticellolibrary.org. Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash.
2) Click on Online Resources.
3) Click on NoveList.
4) Enter your 14 digit library card number. Only Allerton Library cards will work here.
5) Click either NoveList or NoveList K-8.

And now, in just 5 easy steps, you have a wealth of information at your fingertips. Enjoy, and call us if you have questions or problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment