Thursday, April 8, 2010

Great Audiobooks for Kids

I have become completely addicted to listening to audiobooks in the car. I am enjoying myself so much that sometimes I'll arrive at my destination and just sit there in the car for a few more minutes, to hear what happens next.

The narrators make a huge difference in whether or not I'll like the story. And sometimes, the audiobooks are recorded with a full cast, with different people reading different characters' dialogue and a separate reader doing the narration. At first, I preferred the one-voice technique because that's how the Harry Potter books are done. But after listening to almost all of Kristin Cashore's Graceling, I'm starting to appreciate the full-cast method as well.

So far, in addition to Harry Potter and Graceling, I've listened to The Hunger Games, most of Fudge-A-Mania (scratched discs), and The Golden Compass. All of them are good, but my least favorite was The Hunger Games. I felt that the narrator's voice was too girly for Katniss, and that it probably would have benefited from a full-cast approach.

Thoughts on full-cast vs. single narrator? What are your favorite audiobooks?

No comments:

Post a Comment