Thursday, August 19, 2010

Recent Reads

As I wait for the 3rd Hunger Games book, Mockingjay, to come out (1 more week!!!), I have been occupying myself with some other teen literature in the past month or so. I finally read the most recent Ranger's Apprentice installation, titled The Kings of Clonmel. These adventure stories are always really fun and quick to read. The pacing is really well done, the cast of characters feels very real, and there's amusing dialogue sprinkled throughout the books to keep everything from getting too serious.

Right now I'm reading Rick Riordan's latest book, called The Red Pyramid. It's the beginning of a new series called The Kane Chronicles and it focuses on the gods of ancient Egypt rather than the Greek mythology of the Percy Jackson books. I'm about halfway through, and so far I think it's pretty good but not as great as The Lightning Thief. Red Pyramid is easy to put down; I haven't been "grabbed" like I was with the Percy books. Maybe that will change before I get to the end of the story.

I have been feeding my book on CD addiction with the first three Princess Diaries stories, which are new editions narrated by Anne Hathaway. I thought Anne did an AMAZING job with the books, and I laughed so hard while I was listening! So those audiobooks are a good choice if you want something light, fluffy, funny, and girly to listen to in the car. They're also good for the car because you don't have to concentrate on them too much to keep up with the plot.

Who else is desperate for Mockingjay? I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment