Thursday, September 2, 2010

My All Time Favorite Picture Books

As I start preparing for my monthly storytime visits to Kairos and Monticello Christian Academy again, I have been looking forward to introducing some of my favorite picture books to new batches of kids. I like to start out with some books that are really short and sweet, like Clip Clop by Nicola Smee, or Bark, George! by Jules Feiffer. Bark, George is one of my all-time favorites though, because I can always get some good laughs from the kids when I'm reading it. I absolutely LOVE reading anything that makes me laugh, and it's such a joy to me to share that with an audience.

I also love reading anything by Margaret Read MacDonald, but especially Little Rooster's Diamond Button, Mabela the Clever, and The Squeaky Door. I usually have to wait until later in the school year to read them though, because they are quite a bit more wordy than Clip Clop or Bark, George!

Another favorite author of mine is Keiko Kasza. She wrote The Wolf's Chicken Stew, The Mightiest, Don't Laugh, Joe! and The Dog Who Cried Wolf, plus several other good ones. She is so good at twists and surprise endings, and her illustrations are wonderful and expressive.


I have already devoted an entire blog post to Amy Krouse Rosenthal, so I won't go into much detail here, but she is always worth a look or three.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment