Sunday, October 16, 2011

Scary Stories!

I've been getting into the spirit of the season and reading a bunch of scary stories! I finally picked up the Prinz Honor book The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancy, and I read about 150 pages of it. I ended up putting it aside not because it's badly written, but because there's a LOT of blood & guts and I'm not a big fan of the character of the doctor. Kids who liked Cirque du Freak and maybe fans of the Last Apprentice series should probably give this book a try, though.

I'm also reading Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore. So far it's a fairly good ghost story, and will go over pretty well with fans of her first series, Maggie Quinn: Girl vs. Evil. However, I don't like Amy Goodnight (the main character in Texas Gothic) as much as Maggie Quinn, because I think Amy crosses the line between feisty and just plain mean too often. It's a light, breezy read, with an element of romance running through which compliments the spooky bits nicely. Fans of Meg Cabot's Mediator series will like it.

Don't forget, we're only 6 days away from the Fairy Tale Ball, so if you haven't signed up yet and you want to come, now's the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment