Wednesday, April 25, 2012

An Awesome Book

Hello, folks. The behind-the-scenes mechanics have changed in Blogger so bear with me as I get used to all the new stuff around here.

I recently had the pleasure of reading An Awesome Book by Dallas Clayton. The cover practically sells the book just in and of itself, but I enjoyed the inside as well. The text is actually a poem, with large two-page spreads for every few lines. The poem is basically a letter to a child about the importance of having big dreams, and I found it very inspirational. (The librarians out there who are planning a "Dream Big!" summer reading program should definitely take note of this book, btw.) The rhythm of the poem is mostly solid with a few small exceptions (for example, "They dream of breakfast sandwiches / They dream of telephones / Sometimes they even dream of dreams that aren't even their own.") The illustrations are the book's true strength - detailed and vibrant, with lots of great touches and things for children to pore over at length.

Unfortunately, this book is not available in our local system yet, but if you are interested in borrowing it please contact me and we can work something out. As soon as it is possible, I plan to add it to our library's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment