Thursday, August 30, 2012

New Picture Books

Today at storytime I tried out a couple of new picture books. One was called Cindy Moo and I really enjoyed it. The story is about how Cindy, a cow, hears the nursery rhyme about the cow jumping over the moon and decides she should be able to do it, too. Her attempts at jumping the moon reminded me strongly of Kevin Henkes's wonderful book Kitten's First Full Moon. Cindy Moo was fun to read, but a little challenging because the story is told in a rhyme scheme that has a certain rhythm to it. It reminded me of Bed Hogs by Kelly DiPuccio.



The second book I tried out was Don't Copy Me! by Jonathan Allen. This book will resonate with any kid who has a sibling, because the story of Little Puffin's attempts at getting the Gull babies to stop copying him should be very, very familiar. Kids will laugh at the illustrations, and should also check out Allen's Baby Owl titles I'm Not Cute! and I'm Not Scared!

No comments:

Post a Comment