Thursday, September 13, 2012

New Books I Like

This month is an awesome month for new books, as I said a couple of weeks ago, and I've been finding some unexpected gems here at the library! One of my new favorites is The Baby That Roared by Simon Puttock. It's best for kids in kindergarten or first grade, because the "baby" in the book is actually a sneaky monster in disguise. This will be obvious to older kids who are watching the illustrations carefully, but younger preschoolers won't get the joke and might be a little frightened. I thought the whole thing was very amusing, though, in the same way that Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems and I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen were.

I've also been trying to revitalize the board book collection and we've added It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse! by Laura Numeroff (who also wrote the famous If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and sequels). It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse! is a cute board book that shows Mouse painting pumpkins with different kinds of faces: happy, sad, excited, etc. This book is good for toddlers who are ready for & can recognize abstract representations of facial expressions. We've added lots of other board books too, including several featuring popular Pixar characters and "Touch & Feel" types with wild animals, Curious George, etc.


What picture books have you read recently? Anything good?

No comments:

Post a Comment