Thursday, February 14, 2013

New Picture Books

 I was totally charmed by a new picture book that recently arrived at the library called The Goldilocks Variations by Allan Ahlberg. It's simultaneously kid-friendly and grownup-friendly, with rich language, a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor, and lots of interactive pull tabs and similar items to offset the long length of the book. I absolutely loved reading it and I think this is a book that kindergarteners and first graders will ask for over and over.



We also got this year's Geisel Award winner for the best book for beginning readers. It is Ethan Long's book Up! Tall! And High! I really enjoyed reading this simple book as well. The vocabulary is tailored for kids who are just starting out, with most of the story told using sight words. The illustrations are exemplary, bursting with life and humor. It's on par with Mo Willems's work, and for me that is high praise.



I also found a new book to read during storytimes, called Dog In Charge by K.L. Going. It made me laugh out loud right from the first page, and it presents a problem that will be familiar to kids: will Dog get blamed for the cats' mischief? The text begs to be read aloud, as it features lots of sound effects, familiar refrains, and an easy, natural-sounding rhythm. I can't wait to try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment