Thursday, March 12, 2009

I Met Rick Riordan!

On Monday night, Rick Riordan came to Champaign Public Library to do a presentation and a book signing. I would have liked to go to the presentation, but the tickets were completely gone only 20 minutes after they became available. The book signing was open to everyone, though, and so I went to that and got one of the library's copies of The Lightning Thief signed. He was good enough to sign my personal copy as well. :)

I'm a big fan of the series--The Lightning Thief was my favorite 2009 Rebecca Caudill, followed closely by Life As We Knew It. One of my favorite things about the series is its refreshing lack of gender stereotypes. The heroes at Camp Half-Blood have personalities that are more directly linked to the god or goddess they descend from than anything else, which makes sense, but I think it would have been easy for Riordan to make sure that Ares had only male children featured in the story, and Aphrodite had only female children in the story. He didn't do that, and I was glad he didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment