Thursday, February 17, 2011

Newbery Disappointed

I recently finished reading this year's Newbery award winner, Moon Over Manifest. I thought the language used in the story was beautiful, and the story itself was sweet and heartfelt. However. There's one huge problem with the plot, which is: ALMOST NOTHING HAPPENS! During the Great Depression, three girls mill around a small town looking for a spy and learning about the town's past. That's it.

I can think of several grown-ups who would really enjoy this story, because of course it has strong points as I've stated above. And I can see why the adults on the Newbery committee liked it. But unfortunately, I can think of very few actual children who would enjoy reading this book. This is disappointing to me.

Who else has read it? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment