Thursday, August 11, 2011

Some Great Choices for Teens


While I was on vacation I read Libba Bray's new book, Beauty Queens. I absolutely loved it! The book starts with a plane full of teen beauty contestants crashing on a tropical island. The story gets wacky at times as the girls pull together and discover more about the island, but I loved it because it's full of smart social commentary and sharp, edgy humor. Teens will devour this book.

I also finally read Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi, which won the Printz award. I enjoyed that one too, but for different reasons. It's another dystopian novel featuring a main character who is up against crushing poverty and powerful bad guys, one of whom is his own father. There's action, tension, and great character writing. Teens will like this one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment