Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pinkalicious and Lauren Oliver

The Parkland College Theatre is doing a production of Pinkalicious: The Musical. How fun for little Pinkalicious fans! And no wonder suddenly all our Pinkalicious books are checked out. But don't worry - we can always get books delivered here for you from nearby libraries. Anyway, you can see information on the show here.

I am really starting to become a fan of new author Lauren Oliver. Her first book, Before I Fall, was a great book for teens about a girl who is stuck living the last day of her life over and over again, until she figures out how to break the cycle. The ending hit me like a freight train... but in a good way. It packs an emotional punch. I also just finished her newest book, Delirium, and I think it will go over really well with fans of Crossed by Ally Condie.

I also really enjoyed her book for middle grade readers (grades 4-7) called Liesl & Po. In that story, she took elements of classic children's literature and added her own gorgeous writing style, unique but relatable characters, and age-appropriate but thought-provoking themes concerning Big Issues like love and death. I just loved every page, and most kids who like stories with magic and adventure will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment