Thursday, February 2, 2012

2013 Rebecca Caudill & Monarch Lists

Yay! They're out!

You can see the Rebecca Caudills here and the Monarchs here. I was really pleased to see Smile by Raina Telgemeier, as well as Countdown by Deborah Wiles. I REALLY enjoyed Countdown but haven't had much of a chance to talk it up, since most of the kids who come in here are looking for something action-adventure, or a Sarah Dessen read-a-like, rather than some quality historical fiction like Countdown. And now kids will read it! And hopefully they will love it as I did.

I've also read and enjoyed The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, Out of My Mind, Bounce, The Graveyard Book, and Inside Out & Back Again. So that's 6 down, 14 to go. (I haven't read Smile yet, but I was very happy to see a well-received graphic novel on the list. Great for reluctant readers.)

As far as Monarchs go, I'm glad A Sick Day for Amos McGee got on there (Caldecott winner from last year!) and of course I was THRILLED to see We Are In A Book by Mo Willems. Every Elephant & Piggie book should be read by everyone. Immediately. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment