Thursday, January 31, 2013

Award Winners!

I was so excited on Monday morning when I heard about this year's ALA Youth Book & Media Awards! Lots of amazing books won awards and honors, including (to my absolute delight) The One and Only Ivan by Katharine Applegate, which won the Newbery. Jon Klassen's picture book This Is Not My Hat won the Caldecott for its illustrations (which I also thought were very clever and well-executed).

I had been really hoping that John Green's amazing book The Fault In Our Stars would win the Printz, or at least a Printz Honor, but it didn't... although, the audio version did snag an Odyssey Award, so I'll be listening to that as soon as I'm done with Locked in Time by Lois Duncan.

As usual, there were several books that won honors or awards that I'm not yet familiar with, so I'll be looking forward to reading this year's Printz winner, In Darkness by Nick Lake, as well as the Newbery honor book Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage.

Did you follow the awards? What did you think of the books that were chosen?

No comments:

Post a Comment