Thursday, February 7, 2013

More Notable Books

Last week I neglected to mention the Siebert Medal winner Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal - the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin. That's because I had just started reading it at the time, but now that I've finished it I have to let everyone know about my TOTAL ENTHUSIASM for this book.

Here's my Goodreads review: This is an amazing book for teens about the Manhattan Project. The author did a fantastic job of picking out the most interesting and humanizing stories surrounding the development of the atomic bomb. The science and politics were all very complex, but Sheinkin made them accessible enough for young teens to understand. And it's all woven together really well - the book reads like a novel, and I was even more amazed and impressed with it every time I reminded myself that this all REALLY HAPPENED! Recommended for anyone with any kind of interest in history.
  
Also, last week I neglected to mention in my post that the 2014 Rebecca Caudill list is out! Take a look here. I was very pleased to see that three nonfiction books made it on the list! I've only read one of them so far, Blizzard of Glass, but if that is any indication of the quality of the others I think I'll have a wonderful time discovering the other two. I also really, really liked both Wonder and Okay for Now. There are 13 books on the list that I haven't read yet though, so I guess I better get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment